Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What's Your Type?

As a graduate of psychology and as the arm-chair analyst that I am, I am still fascinated by personality types, what makes each of us tick, how the combination of "nature" vs. "nurture" works to build this ever-evolving being that we present to the world.

I was thinking the other day: What is the personality of a poet? Is there one? Why do some people gravitate toward poetry and writing, and others don't? I guess there would be as many answers to that as there are poets out there. My assumption is that most poets are introspective and probably introverted enough to be able to tune into their surroundings (and themselves). Perhaps the right brain developed a little bigger than the left. Is that all? And to that end, do poets even want to be pigeon-holed into a category? We are each as different as our words.

I came across this article on the Web: Poetry and Personality, which follows the Enneagram inclusive of 9 distinct personality types. In reading over Dr. Bast's page and explanation of the enneagram and link to personality, I can't help but think "I fit into more than one of these categories!" Is that where my inner conflict comes from? I don't know. I am not a shrink nor do I visit one.

What do you think? Is there any truth to it? Is there another scale for personality types in poets? Or is it gibberish? I'm really interested in your opinion on this.

No comments: