Thursday, June 25, 2009

There and Back Again

THERE....
So, I just returned earlier this week from my first trip ever to Puerto Rico. I first have to say how fortunate I am to have a job where I get to travel to cool locales like that. The intent of the trip was to oversee an educational meeting in Santurce last Thursday with primary care doctors who treat diabetes. Overall, a good meeting.

I decided to stay in Puerto Rico through Sunday in San Juan, and was happy to have company this time - my lovely sister, Kim. We both were way overdue for a little R&R, and we certainly took advantage of it...while seeing the sights, of course! Friday, we toured Old San Juan, including Castillo San Felipe de Morro, the 16th century fort built at the tip of the city. I'm always amazed to walk around buildings that were built before the first settlements were established in my own country, to breath in the history and imagine my feet touching the same ground that people from centuries ago touched. And it's really amazing to go to places where the culture and history are honored and, in most cases, well-preserved. The United States is a proud melting pot, but very rarely can we find remnants of something from centuries ago. Out with the old, in with the new. Always. But I digress...

While we saw beautiful architecture, drank the rum the island is known for, felt the history around us, I found the most intriguing thing (as with most trips) to be the locals. I loved watching the hundreds of school children fly kites in the field outside of the fort's entrance. I loved the warmth and friendliness of the people, from the taxi drivers to the shop keepers and beyond - there was no pretension. I have to admit, I do not warm up to people easily; I don't trust immediately, I'm skeptical, I try to sense the vibes coming from others. Maybe that's just the Northern New Jersey side of me. So, to say that I had in-depth conversations with the locals would be a lie. But I appreciated their warmth just the same and it really added to the trip.

...and the beaches. My goodness. I forgot what soft sand between my toes and the warm ocean gently lapping the shores felt like. I forgot what sunlight felt like (yes, it's been raining way too much at home!) It was heaven. Even when it rained, it was wonderful. Loved. It. Next time, I'll have to stay longer to check out the rain forests and bio-luminary lagoons, and all the secret treasures of the island.

AND BACK AGAIN...
Now I'm home, still reveling in my relaxation. What would have made things all the better would be if my back didn't go out again. And it's not just that it went out. It left without leaving a note. A few years ago, I had the same problem, but even after therapy, the only resolution was surgery. Followed by more therapy. And a big scar on my lower back. So, to think, I've returned to that state where I might have to go through all that again...it's really a buzz kill to my wonderful trip, where just a week ago, I was walking around like no one's business. For the last few days, I haven't even been able to stand upright. So, a week of highs and lows...but that's Life and it goes on and on...

No comments: