Monday, February 15, 2010

Big Mouth Strikes Again

Oh, sure, there have been plenty of times I've said things I wish I didn't say, things I wish I said differently, and things I wish I said but just didn't. You get the idea.

Then, there are times I say things that would seem so innocuous, but - alas, no. Words said almost without thought strike back with a vengeance. It's like some higher being is ready to say "HA! Gotcha!"

Example: Driving along some highway that is known for horrific traffic, only to be lucky enough to be swiftly moving mile after mile without any pause. Always looking on the positive side, I have to open my big mouth and say [Wait for it...]

"I'm so glad the traffic is moving."

BAM.

Red tail lights and a laborious crawl for the next 20 miles.

So, why should I be surprised that shortly after saying "I haven't been sick all winter! - knock on wood," I find myself with a scratchy throat, fever and headache. Psychosomatic? Doubt it. Self-fulfilling prophesy? Uh-uh. It's just a case of me and my big mouth, and never learning when to shut up.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh dear - I feel your pain. Literally. I'm typing this in my pajama pants, the first time since noon Monday that I've been able to even go online. Ugh. Feel better soon!

Christine said...

Thanks, Sarah!