Monday, January 12, 2009

Hindsight is 20/20

How will history remember G.W.?

In the immediate future, no doubt, it will recall an inept, bumbling boy-man who just could never get it right. Ever.

At least, now in his final days, he's seeing that...or, more properly put, admitting it.

In his defense, being President is probably the worst job in the world. I mean, think about it. Sure, you're in a position to make change and have real impact on the world. But, especially in G.W.'s case, your very being - every move, every word, every gesture, every slip-up - is watched and criticized by the entire world. [I get upset if a single friend slights me. I could not imagine having the entire world burning my image in effigy...or metaphorically throwing shoes.] Not to mention, if anything goes wrong or some group doesn't get what they want, you're the one to blame. It doesn't matter what Congress does, or how this Committee or that Committee votes, etc. It's your fault.

Now, I'm not saying that G.W. is a victim of circumstance. He dug his own hole. The number of mistakes he made is nearly as high as our national deficit. But I'm not saying that Obama will be our savior, either, as so many believe. He, too, is just a man, and will be scrutinized as anyone in that position would be. But let's all hope that history won't repeat, and that our leaders will be a little more responsible. Mission (not yet) accomplished.

1 comment:

Preston said...

History has a way of being kind to past Presidents, once they're dead; however, I think he will go down as one of the worst one. As an Obama supporter, I never thought he would be our savior, just a sane, sensible voice in a politcal world gone crazy.