Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Want to Believe...or Not

This past Monday, there were reports of unidentified flying objects (UFOs - but no one is saying "aliens") in Morris County, NJ - very close to where I work. Per this article in a local rag, police are saying it was a prank and they're determined to catch the bugger. Others who saw it with their own eyes are not so sure.

Unfortunately, I missed it. I would have loved to have seen those red, throbbing lights in the sky. Instead, my eyes were focused on my laptop and finishing up something for work. But I digress...


Are UFOs real or not? Common sense would say "no" - and not to spend another minute thinking about it. Your archived "X-Files" episodes or Close Encounters of the Third Kind DVD are about as close as you'll get. [And don't even get me started on Signs; those green-suited men - come on, now! Don't insult us like that.] We've seen time and time again all the hoaxes (and some, very convincing) that people enjoy pulling on the gullible public. BUT...what if something is out there?

Now, I'm really not one of those sci-fi geeks (nothing personal, people), I never got into the "X-Files," I believe in evidence-based conclusions and not speculation...BUT...I have to admit, I've had my own sightings. Both were during the day in clear blue skies, both were in the same general geographic area, but happened a year or so apart. The first sighting was a single, shiny metallic "thing" extremely high up that stood stationary for the longest time then disappeared. The second sighting was three shiny, metallic "things" that formed a sort of "V" and again stood stationary, then they formed a single unit, then suddenly disappeared. Luckily, I had 2 or 3 other witnesses. Being in the NYC metro area, we are smack in the middle of the flight plans for hundreds of flights, so it's not like it's a big deal when there are things in the sky. But with airplanes, you can at least see a progression and movement, maybe vapor trails, whatever. The things I saw didn't have that - they hovered in the same exact spot for minutes. Were they UFOs? Definitely. Were they "aliens from outer space?" Who knows?

The same local rag gave some links on how to identify a UFO. Here's one of those links.

What do you think? Have you seen anything unidentifiable in the sky? Is it a big government conspiracy or just overactive imaginations running amok?

1 comment:

Jack Payne said...

Believe it or not, but I have a friend living in Roswell, N.M., who, as a kid, witnessed (he swears) the famous Roswell UFO landing. As far as I know, his sanity has never been questioned.