Sunday, April 19, 2009

Let's start at the very beginning...

A very good place to start...

A little known fact about me (unless you're in the inner circle) is that I'm a huge Sound of Music fan. When I was a kid, the movie's opening aerial shots filled my heart with the desire to travel and see those beautiful places. And I did. When my husband and I went to Austria a few years ago, we went with one main goal - to go on the Sound of Music tour (everything else was just icing on the cake....I'm so happy that he shares my passion for this film.) Years before that, relatives went to the Trapp Family Lodge - a ski resort in Stowe, VT run by descendants of the famous family - and brought me back a book about the family and a CD of the real von Trapp Family Singers, which have both become staples in my collection. I've also read the original book that inspired (but was not mirrored in) the movie. And the movie...I lost count how many times I've watched it. I not only know the songs front and back, but also know the behind-the-scenes dirt (here's one for you: Charmian Carr, who played eldest daughter, Liesel, slipped when dancing during the gazebo scene, fell into the glass window and cut herself. If you look closely, you can see the bandage around her ankle.)

I owe alot of who I am today to this wonderful...no, magical, movie.

So, it's with a goofy grin and a warm desire to have been in Antwerp, Belgium during this wonderful scene that I watched this:

No comments: