Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rocco deLuca

Last night I had the privilege of attending an exclusive event hosted by my favorite radio station, RXP, with - as they've been described, "the best band you've never heard of" - Rocco deLuca and the Burden.

First, I have to give a huge thanks to RXP. It all went down like this: I posted earlier this week about how much I love the station. And I do. Seriously, if you haven't listened yet, do so...and soon! So, then, I shared my link on the RXP facebook page, just to let them know I think they're doing a great job. I actually didn't think anyone would read my post. Well...folks at the station did read it, liked it, and before I knew it, I was contacted by a lovely girl in their promotions department, offering me tickets to the exclusive event at The Studio at Webster Hall (a special performance of several songs followed by audience Q&A)...and also to the scheduled concert at the Bowery Ballroom. How cool is that.

Second - not only was it a thrill to have been recognized in such a cool way by the station, but it was to a show for a band I actually listen to!

Rocco deLuca and The Burden is a band that formed in California, and they are now promoting the release of their second album, "Mercy." I have their first album "I Trust You to Kill Me" (it's really not as morbid as it sounds!), and I have to say, as incredible as they are on the album, they are absolutely amazing in person! Awe-inspiring! I have been to many shows, and maybe it was the intimate setting of the event at The Studio, maybe it was because the show was stripped-down acoustic, but, by far, Rocco's voice is the best I've ever heard in a live setting. Fantastic. The music has a definite bluesy sound mixed with a hint of rock. Lyrics are soulful and heartfelt. I highly recommend you give them a listen if you haven't already:



So, an amazing night all around. I didn't get to meet Leslie Fram (she's a DJ at the station and was MC for the event...the "promotions" girl told me that Leslie read my blog, loved it and wanted to meet me, but it was not to be.) But that's ok. I still had the time of my life.

No comments: