Monday, August 11, 2008

From TV to the Stage

So, back in July, I responded to Kirsten Ogden's blog post about Poetry Placement. I have to admit, I never thought that the response to Frank O'Hara would have sprouted as much enthusiasm as it did, following prominent placement in Mad Men. I thought, at best, it would have maybe sparked interest, maybe mildly increased sales of his books, and perhaps once again have his name circulate in print until the next celebrity train wreck took over headlines. Per the L.A. Times, the TV show is responsible for much more than that. I'm sorry I underestimated you, America. Way to go!

Now, taking poetry from the TV to the stage...I'm not sure how I feel about the Emily Dickinson opera. Interesting concept. I suppose there will be a surge in Emily's books now, too. I was always a fan of hers, and, having gone to college in Amherst, was impressed to have walked the streets where she and her family lived and surprised that her grave was in a cemetery tucked behind a gas station. There were always trinkets and things on the top of her headstone. I suppose an opera may be a more appropriate way to pay homage to her troubled soul and verses. Too bad only those in the Silicon Valley will get to see it. Maybe Lincoln Center will be so kind as to open its doors. If you live out in the Valley and get to see it, please let me know how it is. Very curious.

No comments: