Monday, November 24, 2008

A Thankful Heart

This coming Thursday is Thanksgiving Day. That day also marks an important event in my family: my grandparents' 70th wedding anniversary. 70 years together. Can you imagine? In addition, both of them share the same exact birthday (same day/same year) so we say they've been together since Day 1. They actually met as children in grade school but lost touch for a number of years when my grandfather's family moved to another town. As if Fate offered a helping hand, they unsuspectingly ran into each other years later as teenagers, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting my grandparents will be quick to tell you what wonderful people they are. And they are. They truly have the kindest and most generous hearts and welcome everyone with open arms. They have survived wars, the Depression, the loss of a child, taking care of eldery relatives, medical conditions, hospital stays, the ups and downs of life. Still, for all that life has thrown their way, they have remained steadfast in their love and the love they share with others.

So much of my life's happiness is wrapped up in them. To my sister and I, they have become second parents, not just grandparents, and every day I thank God for blessing our lives with both of them. So, this Thanksgiving will be extra special, for we have so much to be thankful for in our family.

No comments: